Menzies School of Health Research
RHDAustralia is based at the Menzies School of Health Research in Darwin. The Menzies School of Health Research is Australia’s only medical research institute dedicated to improving Indigenous health and wellbeing. Menzies’ research work includes critical issues such as mental health, nutrition, substance abuse, child health and development, as well as chronic diseases such as cancer, kidney disease and heart disease.`
Menzies’ vision is to improve health outcomes and reduce health inequity for populations in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, through excellence and leadership in research, education and capacity development.
Menzies’ mission is:
- to promote improvement in the health of all people in tropical and Central Australia by establishing and developing a centre of scientific excellence in health research and health education
- to advance knowledge in the fields of health research and health education, particularly in relation to human health, and to seek and discover the origins and causes of diseases and ill health
- to use the knowledge so gained to improve methods of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease and ill health in both humans and animals
- to serve as a centre for learning and training in health research and health education
- to promote and encourage post graduate research into matters relating to the functions of the school within Charles Darwin University as a research school of that university or in co-operation with other medical or educational institutions; and such other functions as the Board thinks fit.
“There is no quick fix in Indigenous health, but slowly, surely, we are gaining ground.
We are doing research that matters and working in partnership with Indigenous people to deliver results that stick. Our work is having a meaningful, measurable impact and improving the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.
We have knowledge, experience, relationships in place, and a passionate commitment to improving the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians and disadvantaged people across our region.”
Professor Alan Cass
Director, Menzies School of Health Research